Okay, so what's different now?

The hardest part of algebra 1 for my DD was the chapter on two-variable functions, which was about 2/3 of the way through the course. Is this what your DD's class is working on now? IMO, this topic is conceptually the hardest part of algebra 1 because it's so abstract. DD had to work hard on these ideas in order to grasp them. We went over them many times.

Alternatively, did the class start with pre-algebra and move into algebra (say, at the beginning of the second semester?). The progression isn't fully outlined in your first message. If this is the case, sticking points in early algebra 1 include having to do multiple steps to solve equations (e.g. 2x +3 = 17/2 - 5x) and rate*time = distance problems. In my experience, it's normal for parts of any course to be harder than others. Algebra gets difficult when it gets abstract, which happens in steps. Both these skills involve moving abstract ideas into practice.

What kind of pre-algebra course did she do? IMO (and only my opinion), today's pre-algebra courses fail because they don't teach the theory that kids need to honestly understand algebra. Going from arithmetic to algebra is a huge conceptual jump because of the abstract ideas in algebra. Pre-algebra should be based on practice of skills AND fundamental concepts about numbers (e.g. set theory, properties like commutativity, etc.). This approach introduces abstract ideas in a basic way that prepares students for what's coming. Unfortunately, pre-algebra today is generally skills-based, and set theory isn't a "skill."