Originally Posted by eco21268
I can't imagine explaining to my son that he is not welcome in his school environment--where he was placed bc of gifted ID--for exhibiting gifted behaviors.
Framed another way, it's not necessarily that *he* is not welcome in school, rather that some of his "gifted" behaviors are not prosocial, but may be seen as off task or disruptive.

Our new strategy is for him to "not even talk at all" with the two teachers who seem most hostile toward him.
Possibly he may benefit from learning that often people view "being friendly" as something other than pointing out errors. Errors may not be the best subject over which to attempt to create a bond. This may be especially true for authority figures.

It doesn't seem to get under his skin, but it makes me feel sick.
Parents may get a sinking feeling, often it means there is more to be learned so that future situations may go more smoothly. It is difficult, but beneficial, to remain focused on role modeling behaviors which are in your son's best interests to learn. If parents and teachers are engaged by wounded ego and/or engaged in a power struggle, the child may be caught in the middle rather than being the focus of exploring ways in which to help him learn. It can be helpful to take a step back and develop a somewhat objective, pragmatic view of helping each understand the other and thinking win-win.