TNC, thank you for sharing your experiences with us!

Originally Posted by ultramarina
Originally Posted by TNC
It was very jarring for me to learn how to navigate and succeed in a school where you were just another kid to educate and not viewed as a person.

Although this is more of a negative comment on public education, not Waldorf. frown

ITA! Although, our ds is (or was for the first part of this school year) going through this transition back to public school (not from Waldorf) during his first year of high school, and while it's been frustrating at times seeing how he is suddenly in a situation where he's more of a "number" than an individual, I think it's also reflective of the real world - there are going to be a lot of circumstances for most of us where we are numbers... life as adults is going to be a mix of "being just another adult" vs finding your meaningful place you fit in.

Originally Posted by ultramarina
It seems to me that Waldorf spends vast amounts of time on religious mythology and the ancient world, for instance.

I don't have much of anything to add to the info that's already been shared above, but fwiw, one thing that I didn't see mentioned that I found very limiting (jmo) at our local Waldorf was that the "ancient world" was the European world - there was a whole 1/2-3/4 of the globe that seemed to be completely inconsequential according to our local school curriculum. Please know, I only am assuming this based on reading the school's literature and talking to school staff briefly when looking into the school, and I have no idea if this applies to Waldorf schools in general.

polarbear

Last edited by polarbear; 01/06/15 09:19 AM.