Originally Posted by Mana
Originally Posted by Tigerle
Personally, it him it is the theory of mind-blindness that should be the ultimate test, not a collection of traits, and I do not think that parents should be forced to push for a premature, possibly inaccurate diagnosis simply to get their children services that schools or insurance might otherwise be unwilling to provide even though the functional impairment is clearly there.

In US, theoretically, it should be possible for schools to provide services based on functional needs but in practice, at least in my experiences, things don't move quickly unless there is a diagnosis. If I thought my DD needed services, I would rather go through our insurance so we can choose providers.
Years ago when I was trying to decide if I wanted to allow the school to test my DD for LD's this was what went through my mind. For 1st & 2nd grade the school was correctly providing extra help to ANY kid that was slow to learn to read. But budgets were getting cut and I was worried that the money would dry up to help her if I didn't get formal documentation. In addition the extra aids the school hired to just help everyone struggling were only around for the lower elementary. Knowing I could get her the help she needed ended up trumping my worry about labeling my daughter when it seemed premature. Glad I did get her tested and she needed help into H.S.