There is a subtext that appears on this board quite frequently. Usually hidden in discussions about advocacy, college options, or career choices. There's a sense that having a highly intelligent child gives a parent a responsibility to make sure they do meet their potential... That having been given a gift, there's an obligation to use it well.

As I said, it's subtle, but it's there. For example, it's one thing to accelerate because your child is miserable being held back... but what if they aren't miserable? What if they are perfectly happy just coasting along, not having to work very hard? And if your child has a particular skill or talent in an area, do they have to grow up to take advantage of that? Certainly no parent would wish for their child to grow up to be unhappy and unsuccessful, but does that mean they have to use every bit of their intellect, skill, and talent? Or is it OK to take a job that's less stimulating and focus on other things?

If the lack of challenge in school means your child never learns to work hard, is that OK? Can they grow up and get through college and find a job and still never have to work hard? Do we mind if they do? Or is learning to work hard and strive to learn things a critical life skill?

I admit I don't know the answers. DD pushes us and was ill-equipped to be understimulated in regular school. She made our decision to accelerate easy. But at the same time I have to remind myself -- and her -- that it's not a race. What's the prize for graduating early and starting college at 14 (which is her stated goal)? Getting a graduate degree and a job early too? Starting your long working life early? Is that OK? Or maybe she should just relax and take some time to fool around and slow down?

Right now her schooling is making her happy. But I know she'd also love to be a normal kid in a normal class with age mates too. We think we made the right choice, but we'll never know. She can't have it all.