Originally Posted by NotSoGifted
As for some folks commenting on sports and age, I don't know how many parents I see trying to get kids on 18U teams when they are 14 for the college showcase exposure. In most cases, these kids are very good, but not DI stuff. I personally have seen kids lose out on opportunities because they want to be on the older team. It is different in sports than in academics. In sports, you want to be one of the best on the team. That gets you playing time so you can be seen and so you can improve in game situations. Being average on an older team means holding down the bench. Sorry for being off topic, but just wanted to note the difference.

I agree on the theory - it's just not valid for us... Nathan just loves soccer and it seems the harder the class is the happier he is. I don't think he cares at age 5 about who sees him doing what - he just wants to have fun and a bit of a challenge is his idea of fun.

Soccer in South Africa is not really a big sport at the senior/top levels - that would be Rugby and I am anti my kids playing that for a variety of reasons. I just wanna see my kid have fun kwim? not be the one always waiting for the rest of the group to get it...

Last edited by Madoosa; 05/18/14 04:07 AM.

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)