Originally Posted by binip
I can't change the fact that one of her deep-seated needs is to fit in. She's a social chameleon.
Some may say that the way in which one goes about meeting their needs may enhance or detract from personal mental health; for example putting on airs vs authenticity.

I was in a gifted program--one that is as accelerated as the one my kids would go into, were they accepted.
Is this a one-year acceleration?

I have found that the number one thing that matters in life is not intelligence or education, but money and connections.
There are many modern-day exceptions, including Oprah Winfrey and Chris Gardner (portrayed by Will Smith in the movie "Pursuit of Happyness"). Pulling one's self up by the bootstraps is essentially the American Dream.

Parents who can help pay for college. Knowing someone who will give you an internship after you graduate.
Many of us lacked that and still chose the high road.

That will get you enough money for a lifestyle that does not require any chemical enhancement...
No life requires chemical enhancement. That is a choice and the person must own it.

I doubt that academic challenges will help them avoid substance abuse in the long run. Not in this society, anyway.
Academic challenges, like other challenges in life, place us with a group of individuals amongst whom people can make connections... eventually helping to find or create other opportunities, including possibly an internship or meaningful volunteer position.

Some may say what matters most is one's own strength of character including attributes such as growth mindset, positivity, and internal locus of control.