We definitely praise effort in this house rather than some ephemeral label-related quality.
smile

... my daughter does not even know what the test was for, of course. I have no intention of sharing the scores with her. It is too much for a small child to process.
To tell or not to tell is a long-standing question/issue/debate for which there is no definitive right/wrong answer as it depends upon the child. Some kiddos are very aware that they are different from the others in their class, and may deeply feel that there is something wrong with them... for some kids it is a relief to have an explanation of how/why they are different and that they may blend in a bit better with older kids.

I'm not sure one test is that meaningful... I think that's why I'm asking for a mantra.
That fact it is just one test is often explained by calling it a snapshot, just one view of a child.

Logically, I realize that it would be useful if we really needed services but that it's not meaningful in a sense of valuing her ability.
Scores can be helpful to have prior to a deep need manifesting itself... Some say it may be difficult to test a child once it has become obvious there is a mismatch of curriculum to the child.

... child who is so driven to engage that refusing her the opportunity could be painful. It is for this child that gifted programs exist.
While this may seem logical and ideal to some, others may say it buys into myths and stereotypes of what gifted kids look like. Regardless, many parents find learning capped at grade level or one grade level above, even in "gifted" programs and services... painful indeed for gifted kiddos.

Anyway... Reading this message board gives me the feeling that I could probably test until I found her awesomeness, if I needed that number.
If a kiddo is sufficiently different, testing may help understand their intellectual profile. Some parents may be seeking this understanding of their child, others may be seeking the area(s) of strength in a asynchronous child (presuming this may be what you mean by the child's awesomeness?), others may be seeking a number which helps the child qualify for advanced academics or a particular camp or program, a few may be seeking bragging rights.

What I want is not to need a number.
Whatever it takes to help each kid understand him/herself, develop sustained motivation, and translate their personal level of intellect into achievement and accomplishment.