Update: It was sensitivities masquerading as introversion, combined with a lack of appreciation that other age-peers aren't as verbal as him. I think, for a time, DS actually thought some of his contemporaries were insane when they didn't listen to his requests, and he responded to them with fear. After all, they were unpredictable to him. I sat back and watched him more closely in these interactions, and he was noticeably doing perspective-taking, but with an adult reaction as his template!

We took a few weeks away from all activities around age-peers and immersed DS2 in social time with adults. After a month, DS is now the cheerful socialite he was previously. He now walks up to people, shakes their hands, and introduces himself again. He's also developed what I like to think of as street smarts, and he will physically retaliate in a non-violent, defensive manner if people get too close for comfort. So, this might involve holding out a hand to block someone approaching him if a verbal request to stay back isn't respected, or a tae kwon do forearm block if someone tries to touch him without his permission.

I now explain to him if interactions with age-peers go sideways that the other individual likely doesn't understand him. He looks like a little Goodall sometimes, standing to the side and observing age-peers with a scrutinizing gaze. I think he's built a mental model of how 2 year olds normally interact, and he now has different expectations for social ability with children than adults. A screechy kid gets met with an eye roll and "we don't behave like that" now, whereas before he would have retreated in fear. This is progress!! smile

What is to give light must endure burning.