Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
HG kids, IMO, probably all have elements of ADD-like behavior by virtue of that asynchrony. We simply expect synchronous development, and we naturally assume that unless we are focused on that NOT being the case.

Yes.... (sigh). It wasn't until DS9's diagnosis that I began to wonder if I have it too (I'm HG). Previously I've written off my restlessness and other quirks as being a GT thing.

So... DD9 has a dx, and DD10 and myself have truckloads of symptoms.

I discipline bad behaviour. It's that simple. I give a warning (mommy STERN voice) and then I come down like a load of bricks. It might not be the most compassionate way given my kids' alternative cognitive needs, but it works. They're both extremely sensitive and aren't keen on angry mom.

As for sleep... meh. Whatever. I let them read into the wee hours of the night in their rooms. It's all good. DD10 eats books like they`re crackers, so I don`t think I could stop her anyway. DS9 is a little better in that he doesn't read for as long, and then will tuck himself in and fall asleep.

They've gotten more manageable as they've gotten older, which is nice smile

Btw Squishys when my DD10 was 5, her behaviour was AWFUL. I can't believe how much she's calmed down. It was really, really... (sigh) INTENSE. Now she's still wired, but much happier (I think because she can self-direct her mental energy).

Last edited by CCN; 07/16/13 07:09 AM.