Originally Posted by Zen Scanner
Certainly an interesting point for extraverts to consider; however, us poor introverts need to maintain certain delusions.

Then again some technical fields are a much more meritocratic subset of society in general where you can wallow away in the very low six figures independent of social networks, because you are just that good. In full simulation of larger society, you can also create the next big thing and catapult into entrepreneurship with very minimal capital expenditure.

Good thing, too.

I'm only bitter because lack of meritocracy that actually delivers what it promises hurts introverts disproportionately... and since a majority of super-bright people are introverts, it hurts us all as a society as well.

I don't see the shift toward non-meritocratic selection mechanisms as:
a) anything new, or
b) truly separate from the related issue of the narrowing definition of "success" and
c) of "normative" (which also throws away not only HG+ people-- but increasingly, BOYS) in classrooms.

It's all of a piece in my estimation. We are selecting for people who have been wise enough to choose their parents well, and for those who are compliant, complacent, and obedient, but gregarious schmoozers.

But I'm none of those things, and I'm pretty cynical as well.

Leaving the thinking to the academy isn't how cultures make economic advances. Just noting that.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.