Experiences like DeeDee's are not limited to wealth issues. I was one of a handful of Mexican kids attending an elite west coast liberal arts school back in the late 80's. I was from a LMC family. I did not speak Spanish. I recall very clearly being somewhat ostracized by the other Mexican students on this basis. I couldn't participate in any of the conversations that were in Spanish, which were many. I also did not share some of the background experiences that many of them did. I don't know if they treated me as "inferior" but I inferred from their comments that I wasn't "like them". This experiences led me to abandon my attempts to be active in the diversity-based groups in college, for which I blame myself.

It was the same thing in law school but I had learned to handle it better because I was older and realized it was all part of life. Good thing, too, because once I started practicing law, the numbers of female Mexican lawyers I encountered was pretty miniscule so I bond with nearly all that I meet, Spanish-speaking or not.

FWIW, on the wealth issue, my two best friends from college consisted of one trust fund baby (literally) who had been born into poor economic circumstances and who is smart as a whip and one gal who grew up in rural Indiana who is also smart as a whip. Both appreciated who I was inside and out and I returned the favor.