Originally Posted by Zen Scanner
It seems you both describe the second phase of the conversation and are into the business of the teacher who hasn't yet failed to achieve the first set of expectations which to me are:
* My kid loves to learn and is excited to go somewhere that he can learn all day long, please don't disappoint him.
* Like most kids, my kid seems to learn best and is very happy at the level where he is comfortably challenged.
* Though my kid can learn a lot by himself, he thrives even more with some instruction at his optimal learning level.

Yes, and follow this up with specifics re: quirks and hints about level re: things that your child IS currently doing, or fairly recent/germane anecdotes that demonstrate the speed at which he learns.

Those things were key for getting DD's first teacher to understand that when we said she wasn't like most kids-- we meant, no, REALLY, she isn't like other students.

It's a good way to forge a partnership.

Second thought-- is it possible to "homeschool" Kindy/first in a combined year?

If that is a possibility, I'd strongly encourage you to think about it before registering him-- the reason is that this locks him into a cohort year, and you're right-- at that point, this becomes a two-year slog until the gifted school possibility opens up. If you can find out what the policy is re: admission of homeschooled children, I'd do that.

Moomin's observations are exactly what we also observed-- and learned from my mother, who also had decades of classroom experience.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.