Thank you all for your thoughts! I'm embarrassed to admit I have not yet read any of the books Trinity mentioned...I have done a lot of web reading. Unfortunately, money is an issue so we're starting with the school district's resources. I feel sure we'll need to follow this up with an assessment by a professional experienced in working with gifted children, but for now this is our starting point.

I would LOVE a list of the Top 6, Trinity! I have identified a psychologist in Kentucky who specializes in child giftedness and we spoke briefly. I liked him and thought maybe we'd take our son to him (we're in South Carolina), but it would make much more sense to know for sure we're contacting the right professionals.

I have been wanting to read Genius Denied...I think I'll stop by the bookstore this morning and pick that up, along with one or some of the others recommended here.

Thank you all again. They are starting with the SB-V right after the holidays. The school psychologist told us point blank that her experience is with children who are behind academically so I just hope that her inexperience doesn't distort the test results...I realize these things are often only as reliable as the administrator/interpreter. It would be a shame to make decisions based on scores that are not an accurate reflection of his abilities. I guess we'll see in 3 weeks or so!

On another note, my son gets along GREATLY with his classmates. At home he seems to relate to the older children in the neighborhood better but at school he does great with his age peers. His teacher told me she thinks it's because he is highly adaptable but she recognizes that even on a social level, his social peers are likely a few years older.