For background info on my recent dyslexia concern see here: http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....s/143874/Dyslexia_Advice.html#Post143874

Okay, so, Geofizz had mentioned in the aforementioned discussion DIBELS and I was goign through my son's file and came across somehting I had not noticed before. My son was given DIBELS at the end of kindergarten last year. It looks like he was below the benchmarks (despite his managing to stay on grade level in terms of reading). I am wondering this is significant given that I have been suspecting dyslexia and the screening test his vision doctor gave him (the Dyslexia Determination Test) came back as indicative of mild dyseidesia dyslexia.

Here are the the scores:
Letter Naming Fluency: The January Benchmark was 32 and he scored 27; The April Benchmark was 43 and he was 40.
Phoneme Segmentation Fluency: January Benchmark was 37, DS scored 20; April Benchmark was 58 and he scored 40. He appeared to have slightly exceed both benchmarks for the Nonsense Word Fluency, though.

Is this significant, does anyone with some knowlege in this area know? I didn;t even realize he was given DIBELS and the scores were never discussed or shared with me... except that in was in tucked in the school psych report that was the precursor for his IEP (for anxiety, hypotonia and vision disorder).

Just wondering... I kind-of found it surprising it was in there I had no idea he was given DIBELS las year and I had no idea he wasn't meeting the benchmarks either.

Last edited by marytheres; 12/13/12 05:31 PM.