Originally Posted by marytheres
I know you mentioned in another post that you had surgery on your son's eyes. Are you sure that the it corrected the strsabismus completely? Have you had the NPC tests and all that again? From what I have learned in my research, my understanding is that the surgery is very often not a complete success and that often times the eyes appear to be corrected and looking staright but that there are still focusing issues, movement issues, etc. and vision therapy is still needed after the surgery. Also, I have heard that more than one surgery is often neeeded. All of this is just what I have been finding out researching how we want to proceed with treating DS' strasbismus so I am no expert by any mean s but just some thoughts.... My DS is doing VT now but I am still exploring getting surgery done.

I had to look up what NPC tests are. I'm not sure if his Pediatric Ophthalmologist did them but I would guess so. The PO is satisfied that his eyes are straight and that he is seeing well. He does use bifocals because his close vision is weak, probably because of the double vision he had for nearly 6 years. He also had intermittent strabismus which didn't start becoming obvious to us until he was about 4 or 5.

The PO seemed to think that with the type of strabismus he had the one surgery will probably be enough, but of course can't guarantee that. I had similar concerns about surgery at first. We decided to do the surgery because his vertical misalignment was pretty severe and likely would only get worse. We didn't want his brain to shut down and stop using one of his eyes. He also tilted his head and we didn't want to end up with head or neck issues. It turned out to be a relatively easy surgery - about an hour - and the recovery was easy for him. He does still have a very slight inward eye turn that could not be corrected with surgery (it's not noticeable at all) but this is being addressed with a slight prism in his glasses.

Whether or not the vision issues impacted his learning I really can't say.

Last edited by bronalex; 09/06/12 05:59 PM.

Mom to 2 kiddos - DS 9 with SPD and visual processing issues and DD 6 who is NT