To me, it's usually a risk-assessment of whether any negative consequences would be life-threatening or merely inconvenient. With something like tree climbing over soft ground at a reasonable height, I would consider the consequences of falling to be inconvenient (e.g., stunned, a bruise or scrape, or even a broken bone), but not life-threatening provided the height wasn't too great. Of course, a broken bone would be more catastrophic at some times than others, too, so it obviously would be on a case-by-case basis.

The thing that I struggle with now is my DS13 walking 45 minutes across town by himself to an activity at his request. I let him do it after reviewing rules with him and I know he's 13 and 6 feet tall so probably not a potential kidnap victim, but it still makes me slightly nervous and I make him text me a couple time along his route and when he arrives. We live in a smaller town, though, and the route isn't full of busy traffic.

I'll let DD10 walk to a neighbors house about 10 mins from ours, but we're in a fairly enclosed neighborhood with very little traffic and I can see her for about half the way. I wouldn't feel comfortable with her going too far outside of our neighborhood unless she had our big dog, though, because she's still small enough to be snatched (although I know it's extremely unlikely to happen). For me, the negative consequence would be life-threatening.

Of course, I make my kids wear helmets when they ride bikes and ride in booster seats until they met the height requirements. Again, to me, a case of possible life-threatening consequences rather than merely inconvenient consequences.

But obviuosly everyone's assessment is different and often affected by accurate and inaccurate risks reported in the media.

She thought she could, so she did.