That's an interesting article Cawdor, and a good question Wren. I think the answer for each of us varies a lot depending on where we live too - my kids free-range in our neighborhood, but where we live the worry is wild animals, not crime.

Another question that is sorta related for our kids is free time - I had so much more free time when I was a child - time to just play, enjoy my friends, let my imagination run wild, just be a child. The free-ranging in our neighborhood today is so great for my kids (jmo)... fun for me too (I love getting to know all the kids as they come in and out of our yard)... but.... also severely impacted by everyone heading to lessons/teams/camps etc. I'm guilty of filling up my children's schedules too - all three of them are at different camps this week that are wonderful camps that they love and that I feel are giving them valuable life experiences (as well as a chance to meet and make new friends). But given the chance, my two daughters would be every bit as happy at home playing with the neighborhood kids doing whatever the heck it is they do when they play all day. DS isn't quite as into it, but the only other boys in the neighborhood anywhere near his age are all about team sports like basketball, ds isn't and the other boys aren't - I don't think - EG, hence they aren't reading Lord of the Rings and taking online chemistry courses for fun this month. I also don't know if it's quirkiness due to giftedness or due to dyspraxia, but ds has a tough time figuring out what to do when just left to do whatever... so he doesn't like just hanging out going from house to house or yard to yard or woods or wherever without a plan.

Gotta run - good question!

polarbear