Originally Posted by zarfkitty
Is this a crazy idea?: what if we re-envision public school in our family's worldview as a place where you go to see friends, get to play in the band, etc. We'd require her to "play the game" as it were. Keep up an A/B average and not get in trouble. In return, we, the parents, could spend this advocacy time and energy (and what little financial support we could throw at it) on afterschooling. Sort of a live and let live with the school until she can get access to the wider range of high school curriculum? I certainly can't be the first person to have thought up such an arrangement. Does it ever work? Will the boredom and "spaciness" still cause her friction and pain?

I think this is a great idea!! smile Good for you for thinking 'outside the box'! We were kind of contemplating something along these lines before we got DD8 (back) into her old Montessori school. She needs work on her social skills, and if you got the right teacher(s) who were willing to help, it could be very useful. We will be hoping that she learns *something* next year, but we will still be doing EPGY for math anyway to give her an individualized approach, which of course they really couldn't provide for each kid. That's the only subject for which she has requested advancement, so we'll see what she has to say next year.

I really hope things work out for you all; best of luck. smile