Originally Posted by AntsyPants
me and you both, dude! i guess that's why I have wanted to teach the skills early on and keep them motivated but i guess if it's just nature vs nurture there isn't much I can do about it!

I'd say that there's a role for both here... it's his nature to be interested in doing the things that interest him and eager to blow off the rest, but you can nurture him by helping him find ways to deal with doing the boring stuff. Because ultimately, we all find ourselves doing things we'd rather not be doing, so these coping mechanisms will be very important for him later in life.

I still have an mp3 player here at my desk for when things get really tedious. Also, I find myself coping for my procrastination professionally by setting myself deadlines. So if someone asks me to do something and there's no timetable for getting it done, I'll voluntarily promise that person they'll have it by a certain time. Having that deadline serves me as a motivation.

Home is a whole other world, though. Don't get my wife started on how long it took me to finish repainting my daughter's room.