Children are resilient. School choice is a mighty big decision to give a child. Dr. Rimm talks and writes often about the V of love and how we often give kids so much responsibility and independence at a young age and then spend the rest of their development trying to pull it back.

I want my kids opinion on what a "good" school means to them. I want to be able to imagine their fit. But for us, grammar school isn't the time they get to pick on their own. They need to relax in the knowledge that it is my job to figure that out - with a if it doesn't feel right in 8 weeks - it isn't permanent. When kids switch schools higher up 2nd, 5th, 8th grade to a more challenging environment - there is a honeymoon period often followed by the perfectionist panic because in a more challenging environment they will risk being wrong - a new challenge to deal with for them. Just like a child's claim of boredom doesn't always equate to a lack of successful planning by the teacher... claims of ill fit in a more challenging environment may not be the unlying problem a child states.

Personally, I prefer social/play based pre-school options for most HG/PG kids. It is highly unlikely that most will find that places that academically nutures so instead of always hearing that your reader is learning an alphabet letter - better they learn to resolve conflicts, take turns, listen to a teacher (and fundamentally be prepared for the early entrance or grade skips they will need ;-).

With my demented yardstick - I took Grinity's advise all the time! Listen to your kids - because it is us - the parents - who need to make changes. Think Grinity or DYS counselor was best to keep pressing - one year, one semester, at a time.