Originally Posted by passthepotatoes
One of the things I dislike most in doctors is if they act like they are certain when they aren't. So, as frustrating as it may be when you want a firm answer, I guess I would appreciate the honest discussion of how close your son appears to the line. I'm also thinking while a lot of instruments and measures are used, at the end of the day some of this is really about the gut feeling that there is something there that needs attention.

Some people have also identified a "broad autism phenotype"-- that there are people who have enough traits to seem unusual, but not enough to get diagnosed as autistic. This often includes the siblings or other family members of people diagnosed as on the autism spectrum. There really is a big borderline area.

P2P's advice to look at particular issues that need addressing is sound. That's what you'd be doing with a firm diagnosis anyway. What the diagnosis gets you is potentially more professional help in addressing them; only you can decide if that's what you need.

DeeDee