Originally Posted by Grinity
My guess is that your kid - being PG - gets jokes and, at least to some degree, gets metaphorical speech. If he can tell when a person is being sarcastic or not, then he's doing really well.
Yes, he does get jokes (and makes them... and sometimes they are actually funny). Metaphorical speech can occasionally be an issue, but not really too often these days.

There are also some Executive Functioning strengths in planning and perseverance that can be leveraged if present. I'm thinking about Temple Grandon - she's come so very far, yes?
Our ds seems extremely mild in comparison. That's where I get confused about him, and that's why I was leaning NVLD when I read about it.

I say, develop 2 perspectives and become really good at switching between them:
1) Wow, isn't my kid amazing for being able to do so well with even though he has this serious challenge.
2) Nah, he doesn't really have X, no limitations on his potential, he's just on his own developmental path.

Therein lies my issue. I feel the need to have him in one or the other. I find it difficult to switch back and forth, though out of necessity (and the need to remain sane) I have relaxed just a bit recently.

Aha! I did it! I replied to you all. I cannot thank you all enough for these initial responses. I do so appreciate your time and insight.