Originally Posted by DAD22
I think we need to step back and ask ourselves a simple, but important question:

Why do we use tax payer dollars to educate people? (Public schools, subsidized loans, etc)

Is the purpose of public school to funnel new workers into the economy with precisely the right skill distribution to match the available positions?

I thought the public school system was created mainly to create workers for the factories and the new jobs that came about with new technology.

A lot of nice ideas are thrown around about an educated electorate, blah, blah, but they are just nice ideas.

We use the factory model to teach children and I don't really think that model necessarily turns out informed citizens with great critical thinking skills (how could it?)

College used to be the place to train leaders, but I think that standards are lower these days (since more kids are going to college now and a lot of them get into college without necessary skills.)

Now, to be a leader, you have to get an advanced degree (or maybe go to some elite private schools your entire life?)