Originally Posted by Cathy A
Reading through this paper, I think the results are more indicative of the inappropriateness of the current diagnostic criteria for diagnosis of adults with Asperger's. The symptom profile of individuals with Asperger's changes over time (this is reflected in the data) but interpreting that as "outgrowing" the syndrome doesn't make sense. Asperger's is a developmental disorder which means that a person with Asperger's will develop differently, but they will still grow and change. What doesn't change are the underlying differences in how the person perceives and processes information about the world.

I think you are right Cathy,

I recently took my DD17 in for a complete(?) diagnostic evaluation and I was given the Gilliam Aspergers Disorder Scale to complete. Reviewing the questions, I could see that most of them applied to my DD frequently but the instructions say:

0= you have never observed this person behave in this manner,
1= person behaves in this manner 1 to 2 times per 6-hour period, 2= person behaves in this manner 3-4 times per 6-hour period, 3=person behaves in this manner at least 5 times per 6-hour period.

I can see how I would have very different answers on this if I was completing it for her when she was 5 than today because really, how many times in a 6 hour period is an adult (or 17yo) in a position to display "having difficulty making believe or pretending" or "expressing feelings of anger or frustration inappropriately" or "difficulty playing with others".

It seems pointless for me to even complete this form unless I were to stage opportunities to elicit the behaviors. I don't think most adults have the natural opportunities in their environment to exhibit the same behavior 5 separate times in a 6 hour period. Or am I reading it wrong? If my DD continues to monologue even after I have asked her to stop talking 5 times is that 5 instances???