It is. Oddly, I am a fairly social , and I hope, nice person, but it's really really tiring sometimes. Especially when I'm in one of those conversations where I know that any other person would be sure what to say (comforting or whatever) and I am stuck trying to find some non-lame way to answer. I prefer being around people who don't like to small talk, because that's hard as well.

It is not, however, as hard as it was in the beginning. Some things do become habit, and I can deal with certain parts of a conversation without thinking. I suppose it's like practicing anything; it's muscle memory. There are moments when I wonder if I really should have spent so much of my mental energy on trying to fit in and maybe I should have just let myself be quirky and spent that effort on something productive.:P

I am, in part, a trainer, and I actually do really well at training, because it isn't conversational. The questions are always direct about a topic we're covering, so they're easy to answer. I do really well in intellectually stimulating discussions and arguments. I'm still drained after an 8-hour bout of training, but it's not as hard as 8-hours of emotionally laden conversation would be.

Last edited by Artana; 01/05/11 05:28 AM.