Originally Posted by DeeDee
Jen, in your shoes I'd hesitate to go back to the Ritalin dose you were using-- yes, it's short-acting, but extreme swings may be just as irritating and confusing as lack of focus. Do you have a smaller dose available? Have you talked to the doc about off/on dosing?

Yesterday, I gave a slightly smaller dose. These are instant release, so you can cut them in half. He still had 5 meltdowns at school and was cranky with me after school. I definitely think the Ritalin helps with focus, but I also have no doubt that it's contributing to the emotional mood swings. He tends to get frustrated easily and have crying fits (gets down on himself) when un-medicated. When medicated, he still does this a good bit, but not quite as often. With medication, however, he has more angry outbursts and is irritable and extremely touchy (goes off at the drop of a hat). Someone can bump into him, and he thinks they did it on purpose. When not medicated, he is still quite sensitive, but he doesn't blame others. His negativity and anger is more self-focused, which isn't good either. If I go lower on the dose, it doesn't help with the focus, but it still seems to make him cranky. I think we need something else altogether, maybe a non-stimulant like Strattera! Haha, go figure, Deedee. Where have I heard that? : )

Originally Posted by DeeDee
What is "attention vitamin supplement"? Is it FDA-approved? Do report everything, not just prescriptions, to the psychiatrist when you go.

No, it has not been FDA approved. It is similar to multivitamin; it's just in liquid form. It has extra of a few vitamins and is loaded with fruit and green vegetable extracts. I ran it by the compound pharmacist who does my HRT and vitamin supplements (all based on my blood work). I will ask the doctor about it today as well. It's called Liquid Health Attention Dietary Supplement. I know several people who RAVE about it.

For anyone who is interested, the Omega-3 supplement we use is called Barlean's Organic Oils-Omega Swirl Lemon Zest. It tastes YUMMY!

Also, the B vitamin is called Superior Source B-12, B-6, & Folic Acid. We know someone who's daughter uses this and Omega-3 exclusively for ADHD, no ADHD meds at all. It is effective. Of course, that's one child, but it's interesting. This is a child who had to be hospitalized because of violent behavior related to Vyvanse. She had toxic levels of amphetamine in her body when tested.

I'll let you know how it goes after the appointment.