For anyone not familiar with our situation, DS7 is in 2nd grade in Montessori school. It's the first time ever he's enjoyed school and loves to go every day.

His preschool (PK-3) situation was a nightmare. He was in trouble constantly for not staying seated, talking out of turn, and emotional outbursts.

Next, we went to PK-4 at a Catholic school who had him repeat the "grade" for all of the same reasons, although they admitted he was academically advanced and would likely be bored. Went to KG at the same Catholic school, same issues...pulled him after a couple of months into the school year and homeschooled. (The school basically encouraged this as they didn't know how to "handle" him.)

We completed KG in one semester at home and then enrolled him in 1st grade for the 2nd half of the school year at the Montessori school. Same issues...had him evaluated...he was diagnosed with ADHD and put on medication.

So, here he is in 2nd grade, and more of the same. His focus has improved significantly, however the emotional regulation issues have not resolved, nor have they improved substantially.

My son has been through 6 medication changes, and that is not including all the dosage changes for each of those meds. He is sensitive to side effects, has not gained weight, and has increased anxiety on certain meds or higher dosages.

Public school is not an option. Regardless of whether there's more going on here than ADHD, I am not willing, at this point, to add any extra medications to the mix. So, that said, would you please read the following email from the teacher and share your thoughts? I am afraid the school is going to tell us they can't deal with him. If that happens, I am prepared to homeschool again, however it would be difficult financially. Do you think this email indicates a poor school fit, and would you be inclined to pull him out? Do you think this email is a lead-up to asking us to take him out of the school? His emotional meltdowns (last about 2-3 minutes and occur several times per week) are taking a toll on him socially and in terms of self-esteem. He loves school, but is showing signs of depressed mood, according to the therapist he sees.

Email from teacher:
"While trying to cut out a tracing of his hand, N became very frustrated. He kept shouting ,� I cant do this I cant do this. He then threw the scissors in disgust.. At this point, I kicked into action and asked him to sit and breathe.. I had to take him out of the room to calm him down. I was concerned about his physical reaction, which seems to be happening more often. Luckily no one was hurt�but� it could have been bad.

N�s coping mechanism is not working very well and I am thinking that the medication is not ideal. These situations seem to be happening more often and more severe.

There were a few other cooperation activities that N became frustrated with today� One while out at recess and one during free time at the end of the day. (shouting)

It may be time for N to revisit the ADHD doctor and his medication options.

Take care."

If you made it through this entire post, thank you! Sorry it's so long!

Last edited by JenSMP; 10/28/10 04:03 PM.