Hi, thanks all for the many responses! My dh reminds me that is it so much easier with enough time (getting the hair thing done). I have tried more and more to go soooooper gently, so this definitely does help. I will for sure get some of the good sounding products; we had detangler for a while but it didn't quite get the job done so I think I will try the silk stuff that Katelyn's mom mentions too; sounds powerful.
Grinity, thanks for the post; I love the 'detangle the gender parts'! We do have some tangling over here for sure. We live in a pretty open community, short hair for girls would be ok, but she does ballet and it really is nice for her to have the 'bun' when everyone else does.
We had it bobbed for a bit but the bun really suffered! (normally I wouldn't care about that either, but she LOVES ballet and is so serious about it, I want her to have the whole package, and I think she does too...)

I will dig around for articles on the social pros and cons of skipping; if I find something good I will post it.

It is possible she is getting less sleep and this is affecting her mood after school, but I think it might be more of just letting loose at home because she can't or doesn't think she can do so at the preschool.
We are hoping to have her in k in the fall so maybe this will help too.