Originally Posted by cricket3
Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but I'm curious. Regarding the gun issue, how do you know if the family has guns? Do you make it a point to routinely ask, or just assume based on what you know about them? We live in a borderline suburban/rural area, and while it seems unlikely to me that our neighbors/acquaintances would be gun-owners, there is a lot of hunting in nearby areas. Is this something you would feel comfortable asking, and have new playmates parents asked it of any of you? Would you be put off if someone asked you about it before allowing their kid to visit?

I don't think you are off topic.

We live in a safe, nice area but a neighbor girl told me her Dad has a gun in the house. I have never approached the parents about this as they might be offended. Another teenage boy has a riffle that he does target practice in the back yard.

I would not be offended if someone asked me if I had a gun but there are different mindsets about such things. What scares me is that toy guns look very similiar to run guns. HOw would a child know the difference? I just can't spare a child so I'm careful with them.

Maybe we should all be asking the parents if they have guns.

Last edited by onthegomom; 06/26/10 11:42 AM.