(The helocopter mom thread inspired this. I didn't want to hijack her thread.)

I was wondering about how other Mom's control/monitor playdates? How do you get comfortable your kids are safe without feeling so overbearing?

I think of myself as a protective Mom and not every potential playdate would be ok with me. This becomes very uncomfortable because I feel so far from the norm.

I tell anyone who invites my kids that at least the first time my kids go somewhere I go too. If I feel comfortable they can go again with out me. I say no TV or computer please. Wii sports is ok. I suggest they limit the time to an hour because DS can get too intense.

I don't let my kids play at most neighbor house inside because I have seen 6 boys in play basement unsupervised being mean and hitting each other.

One time we went to a boys house for a visit with me and he had a teen bother with a 22 riffle in reach in the garage. The Mom said oh that should be up, oh I give up. Well DS will not be going back there.

I could keep going because I've seen so many potentially scary things parents allow because they don't seem to be supervising. My kids go outside with out me but I frequently check on them. I know what they are doing and who with.