Originally Posted by Polly
I'm just curious if the whole hour of tantrum he is unreachable and out of contact with you, yelling/screaming/kicking etc, or whether it starts and stops for the hour or ?

With such long tantrums, what happens if he's in the middle of a tantrum and you absolutely have to leave the house (and take him with?) Does he tantrum all the way to wherever and into wherever you are going or does he calm down?

An hour is such a long time -- poor kid and poor everyone! How hard it must be to keep your own calm...

It depends on the tantrum. Sometimes it's constant screaming/anger and sometimes it will calm down to fussiness on and off.

When we have to go out and he's tantruming it depends on the day as to what happens. Sometimes he calms down when he hits the car. Sometimes he calms down after we drive a bit and sometimes he keeps going through the whole process.

It is stressful, but I've sort of gotten to the point where the crying doesn't bother me TOO much. Mainly it's the difficulty in accomplishing anything that gets to me.