i just read this post - though its old i thought i would add my 2 cents....your child sounds like mine who was finally diagnosed by a neuropychologist with mild asperger syndrome and some other neurological impairments - for instance, the hemispheres of his brain do not communicate together properly. He was brilliant and getting low grades at the same time. A huge factor is how they veiw themselves. Counseling for self esteem, me learning how to communicate with a an AS child, a constant advocate for him at his school, he needs to listen to music while he thinks up an idea - takes forever but then he produces an exceptional paper. if he has to dance with headphones in his ears to come up with the ideas i let him - he is now a STRAIGHT A second year college student. He works slow and methodical - he needed the extra time. Fight for him - he is a special unique child who cannot fit into the mold. and recheck the ADD diagnosis. They always think they have ADD....not saying he doesn;t - but the only testing tht really helped us was with the neuropsychologist and insurance covered most of hit.