Debbie, I went to your recommended website www.sinetwork.org--thanks for telling me about it! Is it possilbe for a teen who has the same hyper-senses as outlined in the Sensory-Over Responsive child NOT shy away from them in public, and become overwhelmed to the point of unexplainable tears, anxiety, fatigue, and sometimes illness later at home? My son has always had heightened senses--as described for the child who is over responsive. However, he does the actions often associated with the Sensory-Under Responsivity person--producing accidental injuries, being overly agressive at play, etc. Is it possible to have elements or symptoms of both? Or would this suggest the person simply isn't SPD?

Second question preceded by a little explanation:
Yesterday he had a particularly hard day at school--emotional roller coaster ride where he tried his upmost to do well and felt unusually good about himself, then got yelled at for something that wasn't his fault by an admired teacher, then had 2 physically demanding activities following school and by the time he got home, he was sensory-wasted. He was confused, fatigued, cried and cried. This morning he was shaky and complained that he didn't feel well. He decompressed some more, then went to school quite late because he felt better. My question is how to know if his hypersensitivities are creating the emotional hardship or not.