My son sounds similar to yours in some ways. He hated puzzles and he hated coloring. The Kindergarten teacher wanted to hold him back in a transitional first grade (a year in between kindergarten and first) because he wouldn't color in the lines and handwriting was sloppy. We have homeschooled since he finished Kindergarten and it works well for him. He types most of his work and does minimal writing.

He has loved National Geographic magazine since he was four years old, is very verbal and can carry on a conversation about so many different things because he is interested in so many different things. He absolutely loves to learn and talk about the interesting things he has learned. He likes to watch quiz shows to test his knowledge. He likes to read random Wikipedia articles for fun.

Our school just focuses on the fact that kids like mine don't color very well, can't cut with scissors very fast, and their handwriting is slow. I tried to explain my son's differences to so many people and most just don't get what twice exceptional means. Maybe I am just not very good at explaining it.

His doctor says she did not think he had ADD because he is not impulsive, but a few years ago she said some people might think he had ADD because he was very fidgety and needed frequent breaks.

What my son does have is sensory integration dysfunction and motor dyspraxia and he is finaly getting OT. He was not eligible for OT in school because he was above grade level in reading and math in Kindergarten. Doctors didn't think my son's problems were anything to worry about and they told me he would do very well in school because he read very early and was very articulate. I did not find out the name for my son's problems until recently. I spent many, many hours on the internet trying to find answers and I remember someone told me a couple of years ago that her son was diagnosed with dyspraxia and that my son sounded similar. But when I looked up info on this it said symptoms of dyspraxia can include difficulty with reading, writing and speech, poor social skills and poor short-term memory. My son did not have these problems and I didn't realize that he didn't have to have every symptom to have motor dyspraxia.

I could never find any one thing that seemed to fit my son until I learned about sensory integration dysfunction, especially proprioceptive dysfunction. I wish I had known about this earlier. I had to figure this out by myself with a little help from friends on message boards. To get a referral to the developmental pediatrician and the OT, I had to print out the symptoms I found on the internet, write down examples, and take it to the doctor.