Originally Posted by Mom0405
Oh, his breathing is effected by running, I just meant that he would probably run until he had no breath left.
I haven't read this whole thread, but thought I might pipe in. This is my ds6, a stealth wheezer. He'll be chasing his brothers around the house trying to scare them (in typical, insecure alpha male style) while secretly having an O2 level in the 80's. If he ever actually complains that he can't breathe, he's either (a) faking it because he doesn't want to go to school, or (b) in the low 80's and needs oral steroids and a trip to the allergist.

Over the past several months we've been doing daily Flovent (steroid inhaler), one puff per day when he's ok, two when he's wheezy, in an effort to prevent him from getting very wheezy. He still has a few long stretches with daily albuterol, and we need to go back to the allergist to discuss. It's just hard to predict when such a stretch is coming on - it's not like I remember to write it down (duh) so that I could track it on an annual basis because I assume it's something in the air. I really ought to keep track.

What is now making me a tad nervous is our new vacation home which is at altitude (9,920 ft, nothing to sneeze at). Fortunately when we were there last week he sounded ok and his O2 on my little pulse ox (from REI, love this thing, works nicely because ds has fat fingers) was around 90 at bedtime - not super but acceptable. He runs low. But if he ever gets into trouble up there, sure there's a hospital down the road but the more responsible answer is to come home, back down to 6500 ft., except that it's a judgment call that means inconveniencing the whole family over his wheezing...
smile