Thanks for the responses,
Re: Squirt's question...he was in pre-k last year a couple days a week for a few hours, but I pulled him out because he was acting out some (very minor) and they didn't seem to like him (long story). Anyhow, his last pre-k was too structured and a little too academic for him as reviewing shapes and letters was not his thing at the time...he bored quickly of that.

He typically does better with older children, but has never been in groups of older children. One on one he does pretty good. With adults he is great! I did speak with his teacher today and the child she described does not at all sound like my own. Granted, my DS is slightly impulsive at times...but she said some things that he did that really seem very mean and unlike him. And it all started suddenly 2 days ago (the same day that I happened to start him on a steroid inhaler for his asthma because he was having a hard time breathing). Anyhow, that may be impacting his behavior somewhat as I have noticed this before on days that I give it to him...I have talked with the doctor about that but that's another issue.

But I agree, he may not be able to tolerate groups of peers his age. They do some things that he does enjoy doing on his own though. and he says he really likes pre-k and his teachers. His teachers are really good with him which I am very thankful for. It's just hard to hear of my sweet caring sensitive boy acting like such a maniac. his teacher told me that yesterday he went over to a group of children playing chutes and ladders and just picked up the board and threw it on the floor. What is that about? I just don't get it at all. He has never done anything like that before.