Nah -- you don't have to share any sort of label if you don't want to. I'd really try to be upfront, not avoiding questions but not giving any more info than you need to. If they feel like you're "hiding" something, they just push harder because they feel like there's something to "know," kwim?

It's a fine line between being upfront and encouraging competitive feelings. I try to be as matter-of-fact as I can; I find honest-but-brief is usually the way to go. And don't rise to the bait and get defensive! The more confident you are, the better. They smell fear! smile

My ds goes to private school, so I do get the "Why doesn't he go to public school?" question from casual acquaintances, to which my standard reply is, "He has some special educational needs, and public school wasn't working for him." They usually assume the *other* kind of special ed and don't press the issue! This is only with people I know I won't be dealing with too much ... and if I do end up befriending them or needing to explain further down the road, that intro is usually a good one. When and *if* I end up explaining that the special needs are that he's PG, it usually receives a better reception because I've placed it in the context of special ed and not gone on in a perceived "brag." That usually inspires curiosity and a desire to understand about PG kids.

Mia