Originally Posted by seablue
I don't know that such questions are accusatory or even judgmental - they could just be curious about whether it was nature or nurture that led to one child excelling. I'm sure many parents are wondering if they should have done something differently with their own children and are more on the side of being self critical than being critical of you.
Can you tell I give people the benefit of the doubt? lol wink

I have to say that I agree with this. In my experience, most of the time people say things like "you must have worked with him at home" or "well, look at his mom." or whatever, they are either not sure about how this process happens and are curious and/or are just uneducated. Clearly there are times where people think that a child can only be that way when they are pushed and flashcards are used. Once someone suggested that I play with my son, LOL. What a novel idea. But not everyone is out to compare and to compete. Many just don't even get what gifted means. I seriously never thought about it until my son was born and I never considered that having a child that was gifted could ever have any downsides or difficulties involved. So I just try to make is short and sweet when I talk with people that don't know much about it. I am good at reading people so if I can tell they are okay then I may say a little more.