We always expected our children to do well in school, and to be in gifted programs (were they provided.) Before DS (our oldest) began kindergarten, we moved to a school district that didn't have a gifted program, but was in a college town. We figured that if the population was filled with professors and others who valued education, all would be well. We purchased a home in the district about five months before kindergarten. We hadn't enrolled DS in preschool - we just participated in a coop with some friends. Of course, whenever the kids were with me, they learned more (fun) academics, whereas when they were with the other moms, they mostly enjoyed a large playdate.

Anyway, once we moved, I set an appointment with the principal of the elementary school where our children would attend. Our intent was for me to explain who this special child was and to enlist his help in placing DS with the kindergarten teacher that could best serve him. I took some of his art work, told some stories, showed him some of the "books" DS had written, etc. The pricipal was quite supportive - which only after the fact did I realize was not as common as one might necessarily hope.

I think that sitting down with the principal to enlist his help, to explain who this child was, and to express how we wanted to partner in the education process was beneficial.

Good luck! And consider yourself lucky to have found support now. smile I was in tears last night when I found this forum and other info on PG kids. DS is now 13 and DD is 10. Looking forward to exhanging ideas and support! smile

smile
Mom of The Future