Originally Posted by shellymos
Anyhow, I must ask how people do afterschooling. This may seem strange, but I have never taught my child anything...other than through play and daily interactions. What I mean is while he does know tons of things, I have never sat down to teach him anything. I think he may enjoy it...but I am not sure where to start and frankly there is a part of me that is afraid to teach him anything because that will just make the gap that much bigger when he gets to K. Is that horrible of me?

Nope, it's very normal, in fact. smile

But a GT child IS going to have a gap there. It's practically a guarantee. And even if you completely ignored the child's need to learn, that gap would still be there--you'd just be more likely to have a child with a gap AND who doesn't know how to work for anything that doesn't come immediately. That isn't an improvement. frown

Realize that there is a difference between afterschooling--which should be fun for the child--and hothousing. It sounds to me that you're thinking of afterschooling more as hothousing, where it's parent-driven and "pushy." That's not what this is.

I think afterschooling is best used for kids who a) crave more challenging work, or b) are underachieving (usually due to a long-term lack of challenge in school) and need to be reminded what it's like to think.

In the latter case, the child might even say s/he doesn't want to be challenged, but the parent sees clearly the need. In that latter case, it's a dose of medicine to combat an unhealthy situation. Just as the child might not like the medicine but the parent gives it for the child's sake, so with afterschooling. Usually the child comes to enjoy it pretty quickly, too. Human beings in general like to accomplish things that are not easy. It boosts self-esteem in a very positive, healthy way. So even kids who start out resisting afterschooling tend to enjoy it after a time.

In your particular case, shellymos, I don't think afterschooling is necessary. Not yet. He's not in K yet, so what you're doing--following his lead, answering his questions, not formally teaching anything--is a great strategy! Not until he's in school would I suggest afterschooling to you. And then only if it seems like it would help combat some problems with boredom or poor work habits/ethic.

So my advice (not that you asked me... wink ) is to keep doing just what you're doing and don't bother with afterschooling until you see a need.

Kriston