st pauli,

Maybe by the time my DD is in Kinder I won't be as freaked but most likely even more so because by then we will have to make the strategic moves necessary to ensure some form of happiness in our kiddos education. I read this beautiful article a few months ago written by a mother of an autistic child and she talks about the 5 step process parents go through when discovering their child to be different. Finding that your child is HG+ makes me at least go through similar steps. Shocked but delighted to find I am not nuts for what I have witnessed; shamed and trying to hide her abilities... on and on. I still have not wrapped my head around all of this and the more I read in articles, books and discussion boards the more topics I have not considered arise and fear comes back in force.

The best metaphor I can come up with for this process is the game of chess. I feel my DD is the ultimate game and I have to strategically move the pieces in hopes of ensuring her the best outcome possible. I have always said we will send our kids to public school and now I am just not so sure, but what we chose to do I have no idea. And I know what all the responses will state .. she is too young for you to be worrying about all of this right now. Hey I am a researcher and this is my ultimate project. I want to be as prepared as I can be for the battle we have ahead of us.