Our DD8 has IQ and out of level achievement testing, plus her own work that demonstrates a two year grade skip would be appropriate and a reasonable place to start.

However, she doesn't want to. She does pretty well socially and is happy where she is. She told me kids who go up or down a year lose all their friends. She told me this at the beginning of second.

I spent most of last year trying to figure out the best situation for both daughters. Currently, we take DD8 out of school for one hour and homeschool for math. It's working extrememly well, she's happy.

Over the summer DH and I decided that both girls would be leaving school for 1 1/2 hours each day in order to learn at their own learning pace during school hours, not after school.

We made minor changes based on the situation as it presented itself when school started. For example, DD6 isn't being pulled out at all right now. It was evident within the first week of school that her new teacher was a perfect fit and she was blissfully happy. We decided not to mess with it. We will regroup in the future if and when that changes.

For me it was hard to grow into that place, you know, take is as it comes. I'm a big time planner. But that's the way it goes with kids sometimes. I'm growing more comfortable with the very flexible education plan we have now and I think it works out best for the girls.

Good luck with whatever decisions you make.