Originally Posted by Grinity
[quote=CAMom]
I don't really follow the logic of thinking that your public school wanted to place him in 2nd for his test scores. Is the current 2nd grade class particularly weak? Usually the schools DON'T want to offer any acceleration so they can be assured of the high test score in K or 1st.

Best wishes,
Grinity

Grinity-
Thank you so much for your thoughtful and detailed post.I don't have too much of a hard time imagining him in with 8 year olds actually. His friends at home are 7 and 8 year olds in the neighborhood. He's always seemed wiser for his age. But as those kids get older, they are beginning to reject him because he just can't keep up with them physically. They're learning to skateboard, my little guy can't even ride a bike with training wheels. I worry how he'd stick out in school outside the classroom. He's also behind his age-peers in fine motor skills so that would be an added struggle for him. Does that make sense?

As to the above quote- our home district is on a state watch-list for improvement. They only begin testing in 2nd grade and this particular school needs to gain 10 points this year alone. At last observation, 1/3 of the class did not speak English. It's a terrible fit for my son but that also hopefully helps explain my logic!