Val-
You're totally right. I had the hardest time trying to explain to his teacher that he is SOOO good at understanding directions that not only does he understand what's being asked of him the first time, but that he predicted halfway through her explanation what was being asked and already decided whether or not he would comply- before she even finished. So when she launches into the 2nd round of the directions for those that didn't get it the first time- he's already moved on to another task. She thought that was funny and said that in her 21 years of teaching, she always has to repeat directions 3x. I'm thinking to myself "Maybe you should talk a little less... and DO a little more..." but that's just my own HG brain getting annoyed!

Cathy-
Oh how I would love to hand the teacher a copy of Nation Deceived. Our psych gave me a copy of a handout called "Differentiating for the HG child in the classroom" and also suggested I share it with the teacher. I'm just concerned based on her personality of one of two things 1)retaliation and over-observation of my son's behaviors or 2) Try it once, it didn't work so dismiss it all together.

Everyone-
We're not done with this school yet! Really, we're talking about 2.5 hours out of a 7 hour day that is not meeting DS's needs. The other hours are perfect and he's in heaven over them. I don't want to throw that all away. But I don't want to have this same battle once or twice a year for the next 12 years either...

Thanks for all your suggestions and support. I'm so happy I found this board where we are understood!