Brief update-

We had Back to School Night and got a full preview of the curriculum for the year. Probably needless to say, they *may* get to some things in May that DS doesn't already know. Though by May, he will probably already know them. And that's just in science.

I was particularly put off by the idea that their version of differentiation is happening during "free choice" time. As in, since DS can already read- he can choose a book during "free choice". But he still has to sit through the intro to phonics lesson in the morning. And my kid will never choose a book over legos. It's just not going to happen.

We're going to schedule a meeting with the principal. I don't see any signs that his teacher is willing to work with us or do anything different. So this meeting will be more of a philosophy check. I want to see specific examples of when and how they've worked with other kids and what their plan is for HG+ kids. If they can't show us, we'll be looking at other options for probably 2nd grade and beyond. The 1st grade teacher already knows what she's going to have and is very excited to work with him next year. Unfortunately, I stumbled across a school policy that the do not allow grade skips because they're so good at differentiating within the classroom. So 1st grade is probably out for this year...