Why thank you, thank you very much.....

While I have your attention, let me make my next point:

Excessive time spent on drudgery.

No teacher worth their salt would sentence any child to excessive drudgery, so why do so many of us report that it is happening to our children?

Maybe you could tell me, but here is what I've observed.

For most HG and up children, grade level material for their age is excessive drudgery. I think this is the hardest thing for the school to understand and they believe that they are providing a great challenge, I do think they attempt to do so through the services they provide.

But with HG and up child, they ALMOST ALWAYS UNDERESTIMATE THE SPEED AND EFFICIENCY WITH WHICH THESE CHILDREN LEARN. It seems that one of two things seems to happen. The child smiles sweetly and tolerates it(See, he/she is perfectly happy in school, what are you talking about.)
The child acts out because of boredom and frustration(I'm sorry, but we can't even address gifted services because this behavior is just too disruptive, you need to do something about your child.)

That is what they see. They accomodate accordingly. Without intervention, the child is at risk for developing a variety of non-productive habits that have an obvious effect on their future potential success.

Clearly, this in not the situation for all HG and up children in all public/private schools. However, it seems to be pervasive enough of an issue that is should be seriously considered by all the adults that are involved in helping these children.

Now, I am seriously in danger of harming a horse. I defer to your discussion................

Last edited by incogneato; 08/29/08 07:17 AM. Reason: clarity