Originally Posted by Kriston
Yes, actually I probably should have quoted you there, LMom. blush I think "no academics is usually a much better fit than the wrong academics" is your trademark in these conversations.

Sorry to steal your line! But it's so right and so wise that I couldn't help myself! LOL!

Keep using it smile Especially if you call it wise at the same time. LOL j/k

Michelle, there still can be a little bit of academics even in the play-based program, but DS6 did fine with that. They did have a letter of the week, but it was just one day during a circle time and my son really liked coming up with things starting with a given letter for show & tell.

They had monthly themes, but then went fine as well. When they talked about space, DS made them add all the dwarf planets to the list and brought in 2 or 3 page "paper" he wrote about Solar System. 90% of the time was spent on playing, art, music, and more playing.

I hope your son will have great year this time around. As for peers that's one of the hardest things. I wouldn't be surprised if your son's scores get him accepted to DYS once he turns 5. You can then find out if there are any "local" DYS kids close by. You could also see if there is a local AGATE chapter in your area and perhaps meet people that way.

LMom