It is really hard to understand what they're thinking sometimes!

I could tell you a few stories about both my girls when I was really at a loss!

I'm pretty sure Dr. Ruff is currently practicing and does evaluate children as well as publish. One of the posters here just had her child evaluated, perhaps she could share how she got the ball rolling.

Working with the schools will hopefully be in your favor. They know you, so hopefully they won't assume you are the hot-housing overly involved pushy parent type.

It is possible to have a great relationship with the public schools and foster a good fit for a HG/PG child. I think it has to be the right school/principal and everyone has to agree to work together. There are a few here who are making it work. I don't want to dismiss the truly horrible and in my opinion abusive situations that some poster's children were subject to. That seems to be the case in far too many stories.

We are in the process of making it work at my childrens' school, there have been bumps and no guarantee if will continue to work well, but I've been very pleasantly surprised lately.

When I look at the parents who haven't had success in my community, I think some of the problem lies with them somehow needing the school to validate that they also think their child is gifted.

Once my children were tested and we had other "evidence" of their abilities, I became less concerned with whether or not such and so teacher or person thought my child was as smart as I did. I felt I got further by just presenting the facts as is and then asking them to help us figure out the best situation that was available at school.