Originally Posted by polarbear
Our dd who has visual challenges had a diagnosis of convergence insufficiency, as well as double vision and limited peripheral vision. Her situation is different than blackcat's ds and her issues were due to low muscle tone, not injury. Vision therapy helped her tremendously, in ways I wouldn't have recognized until we were in the thick of it. I was able to sit in on her appointments and saw the exercises she did with her therapist and at home, as well as testing over time that showed her improvement.

Sorry I don't have time to write more at the moment, but fwiw, quite a bit of what was impacting our dd were things that we couldn't see until they'd been addressed by her VT.

I'll be back later to try to explain more fully smile

Best wishes,

polarbear

My point is that DS had very severe convergence issues and didn't have any reading issues. It ranged from very severe to very mild as his eye gradually moved back and the paralyzed nerve healed (each day after the first couple months there was a tiny bit of movement until he could fully track to the outside). So I am not sure why a convergence problem would cause reading problems in some kids but not others. That's why I'm skeptical. I'm also skeptical of VT. How do you know that your DD wouldn't have improved anyway or that the VT is what helped? Maybe there was something else going on at that time, like a good teacher, or working with her at home, or simply maturation that caused the improvement. I'm not saying that I'm positive the VT didn't do some good for your DD but when there are no decent controlled trials on a large number of kids, I am skeptical. A lot of people spend thousands of dollars on VT and don't see an improvement, or the improvement is temporary.